Liposuction is a surgical procedure meant for those who are looking to eliminate small layers of fat. This procedure is ideal for those who have small pockets of fat around their body that don’t respond to diet and exercise. These troublesome deposits of fat can cause frustration and embarrassment, but liposuction with Dr. Nickodem can help you address areas of fat around your body, including:
- Upper arms
- Abdomen, love handles and mid-back
- Buttocks, hips and thighs
While every patient has different, specific needs they wish to address, and the liposuction procedure will vary from person to person depending on their goals, knowing what to expect and properly preparing for liposuction will help keep your procedure safe and effective and aid in your recovery.
To help you prepare for liposuction, consider the following:
- Liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure and is best for those who are at or near a healthy weight.
- You should not be suffering from a major medical illness or condition.
- Discuss all your cosmetic goals with Dr. Nickodem and have realistic expectations about the procedure.
- Because smoking can cause blood clots, you should be a non-smoker or be able to quit for a period of time before and after the procedure.
- You should not be on or be able to stop taking any blood-thinning substances before your procedure as they can cause bruising and increase bleeding. These may include alcohol, aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory medications.
- It’s best to avoid strenuous activities for at least 4-6 weeks following your procedure to ensure proper healing.
- A compression garment must be worn for 24 hours a day for up to 2 weeks after the procedure and worn for 12 hours a day for the final 3-4 weeks of recovery.
- Some results can be seen immediately but full results may take up to 6 months or more to be visible.
Understanding this information will ensure that you have a successful liposuction treatment. During a liposuction consultation in Annandale, Dr. Nickodem will outline what you can expect and work with you to achieve your goals through every step of the procedure and after.
If you’re interested in liposuction and would like to learn more, contact Anne Nickodem, M.D., by calling 703-560-8711 or visiting aestheticallyyours.com.