Recovery is one of the most important aspects of your plastic surgery experience. Being smart about recovery helps ensure that your newly refined features continue to look their best long after your surgery is complete.
While each patient and procedure require a different timeline for recovery from plastic surgery, you can expect to take some time off from your daily activities. In general, the more involved your surgery is, the longer your recovery will be. Prior to your surgery at Anne Nickodem, M.D., Dr. Nickodem will give you specific instructions about your recovery based on your procedure and needs, but the following plastic surgery recovery tips will give you an idea of what to expect:
- Have someone drive you home: Plastic surgery is often an outpatient procedure, meaning you can go home the same day you have surgery. However, if you have multiple or more extensive procedures, you may need to stay in the hospital for one or more nights following surgery. Regardless of when you are released, you will need someone to drive you home and to stay with you the first 24-48 hours.
- Consider having help at home: You may need to arrange for someone to help you out for a few weeks after surgery. Dr. Nickodem will help you understand any limitations on activity such as picking up small children, cooking or giving baths, so you can plan for your family’s well-being as well as your own.
- Take care of yourself every day: A healthy body and immune system are better prepared to deal with the stresses of surgery and to heal at an optimal rate. Eat well, stay at a healthy weight and get plenty of sleep.
- Take it easy: You will be given detailed instructions about when it’s okay to resume certain activities. Don’t risk compromising your results and your health by jumping into things too early.
- Know what to avoid: Ibuprofen, aspirin, fish oil, vitamin E and many other common items may interfere with the healing process.
To learn more about plastic surgery recovery in Annandale, contact Anne Nickodem, M.D., today at 703-560-8711 or aestheticallyyours.com.