Increase Your Breast Size with Breast Augmentation
Many women equate their femininity and sexuality with the look, size and shape of their breasts. This is a perfectly healthy and normal feeling. If your breasts are not as shapely as you would like them to be – due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, genetics, aging, weight loss, etc. – we may be able to renew your breast confidence through breast augmentation.
Dr. Anne Nickodem realizes that no two women are exactly the same when it comes to breast augmentation. While we have a gallery of before-and-after photos of our clients, we help each patient understand her own anatomy, then make recommendations for enhancement and set realistic expectations together.
Reasons for Breast Implants
We stress the importance of having breast augmentation for yourself and not under the direction or insistence of another person. Women choose to have breast implants for different reasons:
- Small or flat breasts
- Breast asymmetry
- Desire for large breasts
Note that sagging breasts is not on the above list. Breast implants will not improve breast sagging; this is achieved by using the breast lift technique. Both procedures may be combined to produce the desired results.
Breast Implant Options
Many women think that the implant size is the only decision they have to make for this procedure. In fact, there are different choices that can alter how the implants look and feel. What is right for one woman may be completely wrong for another.
Dr. Nickodem will discuss the various options and help you choose the right ones for your unique body frame, anatomy and lifestyle.
- Breast Implant Type: saline, silicone gel or gummy bear implants
- Breast Implant Size: silicone breast implants are pre-filled/pre-sized; saline implants are filled with the saline solution after they have been inserted into the body to achieve the desired size
- Breast Implant Shape: round or teardrop
- Breast Implant Texture: smooth or textured
- Incision Area: under the arm (transaxillary), around the areola (periareolar), inside the navel (transumbilical/TUBA) or in the under breast crease (inframmary)
- Breast Implant Placement: under the pectoral muscles and underlying muscles (submuscular), under the upper pectoral muscles but above the chest muscles (subpectoral) or above the pectoral and chest muscles and beneath the breast tissue (subglandular)
What to Expect with Breast Implants
Breast augmentation surgery is performed under general anesthesia or sedation. With the incision made, Dr. Nickodem can place the implant in the pre-decided area on the chest (under/over the muscles). If a saline implant is chosen, the proper amount of saline solution will be injected into the implant to achieve the desired size.
The incisions are then closed and the breasts will be wrapped in a bandage to minimize swelling and promote healing.
Breast Implant Recovery
Expect to rest at home for at least 48 hours. Your breasts may remain sore and swollen for several weeks; wearing a special support bra will aid in healing. Avoid strenuous activity and smoking until your breasts are completely healed.
Breast Implant Risks
It is important to know that breast implants do not last forever. You may need to have your implants replaced in the future due to problems with the implants or body changes that alter the appearance of your implants. There are other risks associated with having this surgery:
- Implant rupture, causing the saline or silicone gel to leak into the body
- Capsular contracture which occurs when the scar tissue around the implant begins to contract, squeezing the breast
- Loss of breast sensitivity
- Rippling or indentations in the breast
- Interference with mammogram readings/results
- General dissatisfaction with the size or appearance of the breasts
These risks can be minimized by choosing an experienced and well-trained surgeon and having regular exams to monitor any changes in your breasts.
To learn more about breast implants in Annadale, VA, and to find out if you could benefit from this popular procedure, contact us to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation.