Love Your Nose with Rhinoplasty
Your nose is the central point of your face. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your nose, this can have a negative impact on your self-esteem. Dr. Anne Nickodem has helped patients achieve a better proportion between their nose and facial structure through rhinoplasty (nose job).
Reasons for Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty can minimally or significantly alter:
- Nose size and shape
- Nose profile
- Nose tip
- Nostril size and shape
- Internal structural problems (deviated septum)
What to Expect with Rhinoplasty
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- One or more subtle incisions are made inside the nose, on the connective tissue between the nostrils or in the creases of the nostrils. This is done to allow the surgeon access to the bones and cartilage inside the nose.
- Depending on your aesthetic goals, bone or cartilage may be removed or reshaped to achieve the desired look. A deviated septum can also be corrected to improve breathing.
- The incisions are closed and a temporary splint is inserted into the nose and/or on the outside of the nose to hold the nose shape during healing. Pain medication and cold compresses will ease discomfort, swelling and bruising as the nose heals.
Swelling and discomfort will last a few weeks. You will want to keep your head elevated and avoid strenuous activities until you are fully healed. It is absolutely imperative that you stop smoking as you heal; this can cause serious complications.
Rhinoplasty is a permanent procedure that may take up to a year to achieve the full effects, but the final outcome will last until your face begins to gradually change as you grow older.
The best ways to reduce the risks of any surgical procedure, including rhinoplasty, is to choose an experienced doctor, make sure you are healthy enough for the procedure and follow your doctor’s instructions to the tee. Dr. Nickodem has years of experience in helping patients achieve their desired nose shape. She performs comprehensive evaluations and will only recommend a nose job to those who meet the requirements. This helps minimize the risks of a nose job which can include:
- Poor wound healing
- Nasal septum hole
- Breathing difficulty
- Subtle voice quality changes
To learn more about nose jobs in Annadale, VA, and to find out if your nose could be reshaped through this popular facial rejuvenation procedure, contact us to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation.