Reduce Physical & Mental Discomfort with Breast Reduction
Large breasts are not always a desirable physical trait, especially when they cause physical discomfort or emotional distress. Dr. Anne Nickodem helps women gain a renewed sense of self-confidence by sculpting breasts that are more in proportion with their height and weight.
Reasons for Breast Reduction
Breast reduction surgery can alleviate:
- Skin irritation
- Neck and back pain
- Posture problems
- Limitations for physical activities
- Fashion limitations
What to Expect with Breast Reduction
Every woman’s breast reduction surgery will be completely unique. In some cases, liposuction may be sufficient to reduce the size of breasts with removal of excess fatty tissue only. However, many patients require excess tissue and skin to also be removed in order to achieve the desired results.
- Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia or sedation.
- They type and size of incision will depend on the extent of reduction needed: around the areola, vertically to the breast fold or vertically and anchor-shaped for the most significant alterations.
- From the incision(s) excess fat, breast tissue and skin are removed and the skin is tightened. The nipple is repositioned, if necessary.
- The incisions are then closed and the breasts will be wrapped in a bandage to minimize swelling and promote healing.
Breast Reduction Recovery
Your breasts may remain sore and swollen for 1-2 weeks; wearing a special support bra will aid in healing. Avoid strenuous activity and smoking until your breasts are completely healed.
Breast Reduction Risks
When performed by an experienced and well-trained surgeon, breast reduction surgery is considered to be a generally safe procedure. By following Dr. Nickodem’s instructions before, during and after surgery, you can minimize the potential risks of this procedure:
- Loss of sensation
- Anesthesia risks
- Breastfeeding difficulties
To learn more about breast reduction in Annandale, VA, and to find out if your physical health and breast condition is right for this type of life-changing procedure, contact us to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation.